An Open Letter to Addiction

 

Dear Addiction,

Well you made it to the news again today. Another celebrity dead at your hands. It is always so tragic and when you manage to make it to the spotlight; you become a little more known than you were when people woke up this morning. No worries you’ll soon be forgot about, because you know as well as I do that people who manage to avoid you don’t realize this truth; that it’s just not a celebrity once in a while that you claim. You claim lives daily. You ruin marriages, make children stray, cause depression, anxiety, the inability to function in society or hold a job becomes the norm. You cause homelessness, hopelessness, helplessness. You destroy and beat down slowly and sometimes quickly.

You might actually do an addict a favor when you take their last breathe away. At least at that point there’s no more questions about what tomorrow will bring. There’s not the constant planning for the next high, wondering who will know, how much is to much, momentary concern over a responsibly that won’t be met or the need to come up with yet another excuse for todays broken promise. There’s no longer those dreaded looks of disappointment from loved ones. When you snuff out a beautiful life the fun is over for you isn’t it?

You think you are pretty smart too- I mean it starts so innocently. A little fun here, no one will know there, just once won’t hurt and pretty soon you’ve convinced your victim that as long as they are going to work, paying their bills and not cheating all is well. I mean really what am I really hurting by having a little fun and it’s my own business as long as I’m not hurting anyone. What a smug look you must have when you hear that lie.

I’m not sure when it turns that corner. Tell me Addiction at what point do you say to yourself “awww I’ve got you now”. Your insecure and weak and your never really convinced that you have a full grasp on your victim. Is that why you keep at them until they are dead or want to be dead. Do you claim victory when consequences are so great that they can’t be scene past? You must laugh when you hear the words “this is my last time”

I should have told you a long time ago just what I thought of you but truth be told I think I’m still a little afraid of you. Oh not because you reside in my house, I’m no fool. I know you’ll find that open door so I keep my locked. I am protected daily and I check on things in my own life to make sure of that every day. The key is held by Someone you wouldn’t dare mess with and I can’t even imagine you trying. When I was rescued I held on for dear life because anything you had to offer me would only lead me to despair and my children deserved better than that. I fought you with everything I had until I realized I would eventually give out- I’m not strong enough but my God is and everyday He fights for me. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. and you are nothing up against Him. NOTHING. There is someone I love that you have managed to get your hands on and I want Him back. Do you hear me? I want you to know that I will continue to shine light into your darkness, I will pray through the power of Jesus Christ daily that you are banished, made a fool of in each and every way. I will show up when help is sought and I will love Him no matter what you do. Addiction you are the only thing that is pathetic and worthless- not your victims. Not yesterday, not today and not ever.

Because of Him-

Missy

Comments

Liz said…
Very honest and powerful and moving, Missy. Praying with you against the awful power of addiction, in the Name of the One who gives you the sword of truth and the power to wield it. Amen.

Popular posts from this blog

Heaven

Uno!

Glasses