Becoming Better

 

"Maturity does not come with knowledge but with obedience"

"The bible is not like Burger King, you can't have it your way"

There is always one particular line that will stand out to me in a sermon and really resonate with me. These two happen to be from two different weeks but they fit together so well.

I get really frustrated with myself for my lack of knowledge, and when it comes to the bible I am even harder on myself. I feel if I knew more I'd rank right up there with  mature  “better” Christians. When the facts are they are many who have much knowledge of the bible and it's contents and still like the Burger King motto,  they want to have it your way.

I know from experience how easy it is to set aside God's teachings in order to fulfill what I believe to be God's will in my life. I've been there, so many times and will continue to go there, in my flesh I'm weak. When sin is appealing enough I can justify it- even to the point of calling it “God’s will”.

Isn't it true that Satan will use whatever he can to get your attention. I don't by any means believe that he will use just bad things. If he can bring a little happiness and contentment to ones life why wouldn't you believe that maybe the word of God stretches the truth just a little…..

If the enemy can hold your attention just long enough- what was once truth and conviction gets changed and twisted just enough and our choices and behaviors follow suit.  Sometimes those lies that are told are turned to beliefs because they band-aid past shames and doubts about God's grace and forgiveness. Because really how could I be worth His grace? We question that long enough and our human minds believe it.  Shame and guilt, two strongholds that produce a world of lies. The truth is NONE of us are deserving of His love and forgiveness, no one. It’s not about what we’ve done but everything about what Jesus has done for us.

I want to honor God with my choices, with my decisions, with my thoughts and my actions. Jesus said following Him will bring about trouble in my world. He also says following Him will bring about immense blessing in my world. I want to know that I've been a faithful servant, that if there is one who knows me they know that I  love Jesus. My greatest prayer for my household is to represent Jesus in a way that honors and glorifies him. In talking with family members (extended) at times I still get worried if I will offend someone or hurt their feelings, I worry about the truth hurting. It does hurt and offend at times. But more importantly it heals and restores.

As I obey, as I study, as I grow I get closer to Jesus and really there is nothing better. Red heart

John 14:6  Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heaven

Uno!

Glasses