The Path

The other day I had some free time (yes even after all the whining about being so busy), I dropped Sam off at music and Eric was off to kindergarten. I was almost getting ready to come back home and do 2 hours worth of much needed house work and then I decided it would be a good time to go for my walk. I've been trying to walk as much as possible with a minimum of 3 times a week. There is a path right by the preschool and to save some time I thought I'd just go there. I've never been out on that path. I know it goes for miles and miles but I  am unfamiliar with it.


I started out at the church/preschool and headed over. It was sunny and cool out, my IPod was packed with all my favorite praise and worship songs. As I went over the first little hill and caught a glimpse of a pond and I thought about how fun it was going to be to see new sights on my walk. I love admiring God's creation when I'm out and about. I continued past the pond and was checking out the scenery.


I came to a Y in the path and decided to head up and over the walking bridge. This looked interesting, and soon I was over that bridge and approaching a wooded area. I'm not sure why but I'm not a fan of walking in the woods. Maybe to may scary movies when I was younger, maybe because I can't be absolutely sure of what is coming up. Things can hide, the sun does come through the trees but it's not as bright. The song Trust In You by Jeremy Camp came on. When the darkness is close at hand and I'm running against the wind I will trust in you and I will not be afraid.


Yet I was afraid, the further out I got the more I found myself unable to think about the sun coming through the trees or the cool breeze that kept me comfortable. I kept looking over my shoulder and it took everything I had to not turn back.


I finally did.


On my way back I found myself singing a little out loud (no one around to hear) and enjoying the sunshine coming through the trees and feeling the cool breeze. I felt a sense of security knowing I was headed back to what I know. When I got back I realized that I didn't accomplish what I set out to do. I wanted to go 4 miles or a hour whichever came first.


So I took that other Y in the path. This way heads towards what I know, this will be fine. Again I was surprised when the path led me into a wooded area. I was not as uncomfortable because I had a safety point. There were back yards in sight through the trees. Again the beauty of the sun coming through the trees was there but I was looking around me and thinking my safety landed in those backyards. Then I saw a man walking toward me. He was not walking in a way I'd call exercising, he was walking very slow and he had a funny look about him. Why did I assume he was someone to be afraid of? I kept looking at those backyards and even found myself thinking of worse case scenarios. What in the world is wrong with me? We passed and I kept on. I approached a good turning around point and as I turned around I saw that same man and he to had  turned around and we were once again going to meet. This time I found a different route, it was off of the path, my shoes were getting muddy and I couldn't wait to get back to the safety of what I know.


Why did I think this way would be better, did I think because I thought I knew where it was heading I wouldn't run into danger? Funny thing is I doubt that I did run into danger. Most of my fear was in my own head.


This morning I attended a training for a Bible Explorers class I'm teaching at weekend services. It's a kindergarten/1st grade class and it's new to me. One of the first things we talked about is being stretched. Feeling uncomfortable and trusting the Lord to lead us. Don't run and panic from that feeling yet give it over to the Lord. He will strengthen us.


I was thinking about my walk the other day. How often does my walk with the Lord resemble that exact walk I took that day. Nothing bad ended up happening but in the mist of it I found myself turning away from His beauty and wondering where I was going to end up. I felt stretched and I was looking around at the world for protection and forgetting that there really is nothing here for me. I thought that I knew a better way yet I was afraid and allowing the enemy to filter my thoughts, I kept thinking about the what if's. I had been praying for a friend, maybe even that same day and I was reminded there are no what if's with God. He has made forever clear for me, no matter what my earthly life holds. He is the constant and the forever.


Why do I forget that?


I will most likely get on my regular walking path this week, there's a wooded area that I live by, maybe I should give it a shot. Walk hand and hand with the one that will not make me wonder. I'm quite sure that the son shines brighter through the trees than any darkness that is around. I just need to look up to the Son.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heaven

Uno!

Glasses